Church History

history03Starkdale Presbyterian Church was started in 1947 when three local Presbyterian churches saw the movement away from the inner city and transfer of families to suburban areas in the post WWII period. The necessity to establish a place of worship in a strategic location that would serve both Steubenville and areas surrounding the West End was required. On May 17, 1947, twelve officers representing the mother churches of Old Third Presbyterian of Steubenville, Two Ridges Presbyterian Church and Cross Creek Presbyterian Church met to organize a congregational meeting. The meeting was held in the Wintersville School on July 27, 1947. At this special meeting, Reverend John Sharp presided as moderator and a call was issued to Rev. John K. McDivitt, Jr. to serve as minister to the new Starkdale United Presbyterian Church.

The first worship service of the Starkdale United Presbyterian Church was held at the Wintersville Grange Hall on July 6,1947. This early church grew so fast that it was necessary to move across the street to the high school auditorium. In September of 1947, Rev. John K. McDivitt, Jr. was installed as the first pastor.

history02In October 1947, the State of Ohio incorporated Starkdale United Presbyterian Church with 104 members. Two acres of land were purchased from E.M. Stark and ground was broken for the Starkdale Presbyterian Church building on August 4, 1948. During the same period Mr. Harry Chalfant gave the land on Brockton Road to the church, where a manse was erected. It was later sold and another built on land donated by Mr. Ralph Freshwater. Each building project was completed with the building skills and tools of the church members and friends. (Excerpted from Jim and Joan Deist submitted in the 50th Anniversary program.)

history01